No strategy in SEO is generic. It will always be tailor made to suit the business needs and most importantly the requirement of the market at a given point of time.
I still believe Microsite Strategy has no risks (and is worthwhile to try) if proper care and love is taken to create and maintain small websites with relevant and fresh Content (for both Commercial & Non-commercial use).
With the summary first, lets start this topic now…
Why Microsites Exists?
- Microsites are a part of guerrilla marketing tactics or demographic specific campaigns which are used for highly focused product promotions. These mini Web sites work on a different level than the parent site and can reach audiences in new ways.
- A Microsite is a group of web pages bound together which we use for promoting a specific product or a concept carries its own URL. That’s why we need regularly updated Microsites to promote the services / products and existing brand.
- The main role of a Microsite is to create a positive impact about a brand and a product, engaging users to deliver tangible results. The message behind is that Microsites are basically used for direct interaction with consumers, superior experience and, at the end information gathering, traffic redirection are key aspects of a Microsite.
- It is perceived that Microsites are better engagement tools than landing pages.
Microsites: Exceptional Design Opportunities
Always Remember – One Size Doesn’t Fit All
- The look and feel of a Microsite can be tailored to appeal directly to its target audience. By contrast, one-size-fit-all websites are broadly designed to appeal to every possible stakeholder group that might visit; the end result is a site that speaks to everybody, but to nobody in particular. This focus means we can experiment with different designs, layouts and test how they appeal to the audience.
- Unique designs, different layouts (Can also try with disruptive) for each Microsite as per their theme.
- Positioning of Booking Engine, Contact Form, colours on the pages (+ of Buttons), different persuasion elements/workings can also be experimented.
Domain Name Strategy: Microsites
Need to have Keyword Rich Domain Names
- Microsites should be assigned keyword rich domain names in line with their marketplace positioning. Search engines used to place weight on the keywords within a website’s URL when serving results for specific keyword queries. Normally, domain name strategies they can be a great part of an overall SEO.
Localization Strategy: Microsites
- Search engines tend to serve localized websites over internationally based ones; search engines determine ‘local’ by looking at a website’s domain name country suffix, (e.g. ‘.in’ for India), and which country the website is hosted in. Focusing Microsites on geographic regions can be a great way to localize offering and improve conversions. These Microsites should be designed specifically to perform well for search engine queries that can include city names. Microsites can also focus on geography exclusively.
- When Google spiders a website, it looks for “theme” of each page. Once, Google has determined the theme for all of the pages it determines a theme for the entire site.
SERP Domination through Microsites
- Search engines do not like to show more than 4 webpages in the SERPs for a given web site. The main reason for this is that the search engines want to show their users a diverse set of results.
- As we want to obtain more than 4 results in SERPs, we should use Microsites as a way to dominate the search resultant pages. This is done by creating sites that target same sets of keywords, and therefore have similar content but not same.
Online Reputation Management by Microsites
- We need to dominate the SERPs for our brand name. We should be much focused on protecting our online reputation and strategize Microsites for dominating the SERPs for brand.
SEO Research and Experimentation
- Take additional time to turn the microsites project into a sophisticated testing and optimization platform from which to test and improve all aspects of user experience, understand users click behavior, search algorithm changes and latest optimization techniques.
I think I have covered most of the important points. If you would like to share more, pls include them in comments.